Monday, June 29, 2009

SMOKING and PREGNANCY

clip_image001

Smoking is a major public health problem. All smokers face an increased risk of lung cancer, other lung diseases, and cardiovascular and other disorders. Smoking during pregnancy can harm the health of both a woman and her unborn baby. Currently, at least 10 percent of women in the United States smoke during pregnancy. (1)
In the United States and in other industrialized countries, 18 percent of women smoke.(2) This proportion is somewhat smaller in developing countries where only 8 percent of women smoke.(3) Statistics from the United States are compelling. According to the U.S. Public Health Service (4) , if all pregnant women in this country stopped smoking, there would be an estimated:

  • 11 percent reduction in stillbirths
  • 5 percent reduction in newborn deaths

Cigarette smoke contains more than 2,500 chemicals. It is not known for certain which of these chemicals are harmful to the developing baby, but both nicotine and carbon monoxide play a role in causing adverse pregnancy outcomes.

How can smoking harm the newborn?
Smoking nearly doubles a woman's risk of having a low-birthweight baby. In 2004, 11.9 percent of babies born to smokers in the United States were of low birthweight (less than 5½ pounds), compared to 7.2 percent of babies of nonsmokers (1). Low birthweight can result from poor growth before birth, preterm delivery or a combination of both. Smoking has long been known to slow fetal growth. Smoking also increases the risk of preterm delivery (before 37 weeks of gestation) (5). Premature and low-birthweight babies face an increased risk of serious health problems during the newborn period, chronic lifelong disabilities (such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation and learning problems), and even death.

The more a pregnant woman smokes, the greater her risk of having a low-birthweight baby. However, if a woman stops smoking even by the end of her second trimester of pregnancy, she is no more likely to have a low-birthweight baby than a woman who never smoked (6).
A recent study suggests that women who smoke anytime during the month before pregnancy to the end of the first trimester are more likely to have a baby with birth defects, particularly congenital heart defects (7) . The risk of heart defects appears to increase with the number of cigarettes a woman smokes.

Can smoking cause pregnancy complications?
Smoking is associated with a number of pregnancy complications. Smoking cigarettes doubles a woman's risk of developing placental problems (4) . These include:

  • Placenta previa (a low-lying placenta that covers part or all of the opening of the uterus)
  • Placental abruption (in which the placenta peels away, partially or almost completely, from the uterine wall before delivery)

Both can result in heavy bleeding during delivery that can endanger mother and baby, although cesarean delivery can prevent most deaths.

Smoking in pregnancy increases a woman's risk of premature rupture of the membranes (PROM), when the sac that holds the baby inside the uterus breaks before completion of 37 weeks of pregnancy (4) . (Usually, when it breaks, normal labor ensues within a few hours.) If the rupture occurs before 37 weeks of pregnancy, it often results in the birth of a premature baby.

Does smoking affect fertility?
Cigarette smoking can cause reproductive problems before a woman even becomes pregnant. Studies show that women who smoke may have more trouble conceiving than nonsmokers (4) . Studies suggest that fertility returns to normal after a woman stops smoking.

Does smoking during pregnancy cause other problems in babies or young children?
A 2003 study suggests that babies of mothers who smoke during pregnancy undergo withdrawal-like symptoms similar to those seen in babies of mothers who use some illicit drugs (8) . For example, babies of smokers appear to be more jittery and difficult to soothe than babies of nonsmokers.

Babies whose mothers smoked during pregnancy are up to three times as likely to die from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) as babies of nonsmokers (5) .

Studies suggest that babies of women who are regularly exposed to secondhand smoke during pregnancy may have reduced growth and may be more likely to be born with low birthweight (5). Pregnant women should avoid exposure to other people's smoke.

How can a woman stop smoking?
The March of Dimes recommends that women stop smoking before they become pregnant and do not smoke throughout pregnancy and after the baby is born. A woman's health care provider can refer her to a smoking-cessation program or suggest other ways to help her quit. The March of Dimes supports a 5- to 15-minute, 5-step counseling approach called “The 5 A's,” which is performed by the health care provider during routine prenatal visits. This approach has been shown to improve smoking cessation rates among pregnant women by at least 30 percent .

Studies suggest that certain factors make it more likely that a woman will be successful in her efforts to quit smoking during pregnancy. These include:

  • Attempting to quit in the past
  • Having a partner who doesn't smoke
  • Getting support from family or other important people in her life
  • Understanding the harmful effects of smoking

How does exposure to smoke after birth affect a baby?
It is important to stay smoke-free after the baby is born. Parents should refrain from smoking in the home and should ask visitors to do the same. Babies who are exposed to smoke suffer from more lower-respiratory illnesses (such as bronchitis and pneumonia) and ear infections than do other babies. Babies who are exposed to their parents' smoke after birth also may face an increased risk of asthma and SIDS.

Smoking harms a mother's health, too. Smokers have an increased risk of lung and other cancers, heart disease, stroke and emphysema (a potentially disabling and, sometimes, deadly lung condition). Quitting smoking makes parents healthier and better role models for their children.

Does the March of Dimes fund research on the risks of smoking during pregnancy?
The March of Dimes has long supported research on the risks of smoking during pregnancy. In the 1970s, March of Dimes-supported research suggested that nicotine and carbon monoxide reduce the supply of oxygen to the baby, perhaps explaining how these chemicals in cigarette smoke reduce fetal growth.

In 2002, a March of Dimes grantee published a study that may shed light on why some women who smoke cigarettes during pregnancy have low-birthweight babies and others do not (10) . The researcher reported that pregnant women who smoke are more likely to have a premature or low-birthweight baby if they have either of two common genetic traits (which influence the body's ability to dispose of certain chemicals). These findings could lead to better ways to identify and treat women at high risk of having a low-birthweight baby.

A current March of Dimes grantee is investigating whether smoking at a critical stage of embryonic palate development increases the risk of cleft lip/palate.

What resources are available for health care providers?

References

  1. Martin, J.A., et al. Births: Final Data for 2004. National Vital Statistics Reports, volume 55, number 1, September 29, 2006.
  2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Smoking and Tobacco Fact Sheet: Women and Smoking. February 28, 2007.
  3. World Health Organization (WHO). Women and the Tobacco Epidemic: Challenges for the 21st Century. 2001.
  4. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General, 2004. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta Georgia, May 2004.
  5. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). What Do We Know About Tobacco Use and Pregnancy. June 11, 2007.
  6. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Smoking Cessation during Pregnancy. ACOG Committee Opinion, number 316, October 2005.
  7. Malik, S., et al. Maternal Smoking and Congenital Heart Defects. Pediatrics, volume 121, number 4, April 2008, pages e810-e816.
  8. Law, K.L., et al. Smoking During Pregnancy and Newborn Neurobehavior. Pediatrics, volume 111, number 6, June 2003, pages 1318-1323.
  9. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Preventing Smoking During Pregnancy. November 2005.
  10. Wang, X., et al. Maternal Cigarette Smoking, Metabolic Gene Polymorphism, and Infant Birth Weight. Journal of the American Medical Association, volume 287, number 2, January 9, 2002, pages 195-202.

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure the following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Shingles 16. psoriasis,Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 Autism. 19.. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful experience knowing Dr Utu.
    I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I'm on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. I knew I was in trouble as I've already lost appetite for everything about life I've heard of people who suffered this disease for years with no hope of solution. Imagine the pain and trauma keeping it a secret. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment who after telling him of my ailment he advised me to start with herbal medicines if I wish to live longer than doctors estimate He taught me the strong effects of plants on animals and how possible nature have perfected itself. He gave me Dr Utu's contact. I contacted him immediately, I told him the whole history which he gave me satisfactory answer. I purchased and started using his herbs as he had directed. This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I continued on dosage as prescribed one week later I noticed total comfort in my body system, I informed the doctor who advised me to continue medication till later end I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! I thank you greatly Dr Utu for giving me back my life I'm the happiest man on earth. Reach Dr Utu directly via email: drutuherbalcure@gmail.com. TO CURE YOUR DISEASES WITH HERBAL MEDICINES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help someone who need Herpes Cure from Natural Roots and Herbs today.
    I'm not ashamed of testifying the goodness of Dr. AKINTUNDE in my life and my beloved mom too, how we where cured from this Virus after spending so much money on phamacytical drugs for years and still my mom was having frequent Outbreak and different symptoms everyday. But in less than five weeks of meeting Dr. Akintunde and I told him about my situation and he prepared some herbal medicine and send to me and I took as he directed me. I was cured of HSV1 Using only the Natural Herbal medicine Dr. Akintunde sent to me through courier service, and later, after I was confirmed Negative, he also send this herbal medicine to my mom and in four weeks of using the herbal medicine she was also tested and confirm negative. So i guarantee anyone because of my promise to Dr. Akintunde, that I will refer anyone that have this health issue to him for treatment and total Cure of this Virus. This herbal medicine has no side effect rather my mom blood pressure is now perfect, no more Cold Sores, Sore Throat fatigue and Outbreak stopped immediately mom started taking the Herbal medicine. thank you Dr. AKINTUNDE Herbal Home Care. Stay Bless Sir. This is Dr. Akintunde details below.👇
    https://drakintundeherbalhomecare.simdif.com

    Email: drakintundehomecare@gmail.com

    WhatsApp Number: +12068994141

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again I want to appreciate Dr Ubarlo for helping me with his herbal medicine to cure my herpes. virus completely, I really suffered from this virus for the past 2 yrs, Right now I'm herpes negative after using the herbal medicine Dr Ubarlo sent to me .l give all thanks to God for leading me to Dr Ubarlo was able to cure me completely from herpes virus, Dr Ubarlo you are the best traditional doctor in the world God bless you sir, contact Dr Ubarlo for cure if you have been passing through similar diseases or virus like. herpes. HIV .gastritis. fibroid. etc via Email drubarlohome@gmail.com or Whats App contact +2348119508814 God bless you all

    ReplyDelete