Monday, June 29, 2009

CHICKENPOX and PREGNANCY

Effects of Chicken Pox on the Pregnant Woman and her Unborn Child

clip_image002

Chicken pox is usually a benign, self-limited, viral infection caused by the varicella virus. However, chicken pox acquired during pregnancy causes an increase risk of complications to the mother and the infant. The time of infection, during early pregnancy or near delivery, determines the risk to mother and child.

Pregnant Women Exposed to Chicken Pox
Pregnant women who have a history of a previous chicken pox infection or who have been immunized have antibodies to the virus. These antibodies are transferred to the infant through the placenta throughout the pregnancy. Therefore, pregnant women who are immune and are exposed to someone with chicken pox do not need to worry about complications for themselves or their infant.

Testing for Immunity in Pregnancy
All women should be questioned about previous chicken pox infection or immunization at their first prenatal visit. Of those women who do not remember a past infection or immunization, 80% to 90% have antibodies and are considered immune. For this reason, testing for antibodies is controversial, but many practitioners obtain this test at the first prenatal visit.

Maternal Complications of Chicken Pox in Pregnancy
A primary chicken pox infection occurs in only 0.05% to 0.07% of pregnancies because most women of childbearing age have immunity to the varicella virus because of a previous infection or immunization. Women who do acquire chicken pox while pregnant, especially in the third trimester, are at a greater risk of developing varicella pneumonia. Varicella pneumonia is a potentially life-threatening infection of the lungs by the varicella virus.

Infant Complications of Chicken Pox in Early Pregnancy
Primary chicken pox infection in the first trimester of pregnancy, especially weeks 8 to 12, carries a 2.2% risk of congenital varicella syndrome, a syndrome of birth defects in the infant. The most common manifestation of congenital varicella syndrome is scarring of the skin. Other abnormalities that can occur include a smaller than normal head, eye problems, low birth weight, small limbs, and mental retardation.

Infant Complications of Chicken Pox in Late Pregnancy
If a woman acquires a primary chicken pox infection within 5 days before and 2 days after delivery, her newborn is at risk for disseminated varicella infection. Disseminated varicella infection occurs when the virus infects a newborn before the transfer of protective maternal antibodies. This overwhelming viral infection leads to death in 25% of cases.

Treatment of Pregnant Women with Chicken Pox
Women who acquire primary chicken pox during pregnancy should be treated with the antiviral drug acyclovir (Zovirax) which seems to be safe in pregnancy. Pregnant women with varicella pneumonia should be treated with IV acyclovir and be observed in the hospital. In addition women who are not immune to varicella, but are exposed may be treated with varicella-zoster immunoglobulin (VZIG), a substance that triggers an immune response against the varicella virus.

Treatment of Infants with Chicken Pox
Infants whose mothers develop varicella 5 days before delivery or 2 days following delivery should receive VZIG after birth. Infants who develop varicella during the first 2 weeks of life should be treated with IV acyclovir.

3 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful experience knowing Dr Utu.
    I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I'm on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. I knew I was in trouble as I've already lost appetite for everything about life I've heard of people who suffered this disease for years with no hope of solution. Imagine the pain and trauma keeping it a secret. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment who after telling him of my ailment he advised me to start with herbal medicines if I wish to live longer than doctors estimate He taught me the strong effects of plants on animals and how possible nature have perfected itself. He gave me Dr Utu's contact. I contacted him immediately, I told him the whole history which he gave me satisfactory answer. I purchased and started using his herbs as he had directed. This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I continued on dosage as prescribed one week later I noticed total comfort in my body system, I informed the doctor who advised me to continue medication till later end I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! I thank you greatly Dr Utu for giving me back my life I'm the happiest man on earth. Reach Dr Utu directly via email: drutuherbalcure@gmail.com. TO CURE YOUR DISEASES WITH HERBAL MEDICINES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help someone who need Herpes Cure from Natural Roots and Herbs today.
    I'm not ashamed of testifying the goodness of Dr. AKINTUNDE in my life and my beloved mom too, how we where cured from this Virus after spending so much money on phamacytical drugs for years and still my mom was having frequent Outbreak and different symptoms everyday. But in less than five weeks of meeting Dr. Akintunde and I told him about my situation and he prepared some herbal medicine and send to me and I took as he directed me. I was cured of HSV1 Using only the Natural Herbal medicine Dr. Akintunde sent to me through courier service, and later, after I was confirmed Negative, he also send this herbal medicine to my mom and in four weeks of using the herbal medicine she was also tested and confirm negative. So i guarantee anyone because of my promise to Dr. Akintunde, that I will refer anyone that have this health issue to him for treatment and total Cure of this Virus. This herbal medicine has no side effect rather my mom blood pressure is now perfect, no more Cold Sores, Sore Throat fatigue and Outbreak stopped immediately mom started taking the Herbal medicine. thank you Dr. AKINTUNDE Herbal Home Care. Stay Bless Sir. This is Dr. Akintunde details below.👇
    https://drakintundeherbalhomecare.simdif.com

    Email: drakintundehomecare@gmail.com

    WhatsApp Number: +12068994141

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I want to appreciate Dr Ubarlo for helping me with his herbal medicine to cure my herpes. virus completely, I really suffered from this virus for the past 2 yrs, Right now I'm herpes negative after using the herbal medicine Dr Ubarlo sent to me .l give all thanks to God for leading me to Dr Ubarlo was able to cure me completely from herpes virus, Dr Ubarlo you are the best traditional doctor in the world God bless you sir, contact Dr Ubarlo for cure if you have been passing through similar diseases or virus like. herpes. HIV .gastritis. fibroid. etc via Email drubarlohome@gmail.com or Whats App contact +2348119508814 God bless you all

    ReplyDelete